To find your nearest Playgroup or to start a new playgroup, call 1800 171 882 or select your state below.
We are updating our website.Read More...
Playgroup is an informal session where mums, dads, grandparents, caregivers, children and babies meet together in a relaxed environment.
Playgroups are set up and run by parents and caregivers, with children choosing from a range of activities set up to meet their varying needs. Activities at playgroup are either free or low cost, and may include:
- Music and singing
- Imaginative play
- Outdoor and free play
- Art and craft activities
Playgroup can be held anywhere that is safe for children and where groups of people can meet - community and neighbourhood centres, health clinics, women's centres, preschools and kindergartens, church halls and even in someone's house.
In a playgroup, parents and caregivers stay to interact with the other adults, and to play with the children.
No child is too young for playgroup. All children from 0-5 years, including babies, love new experiences and benefit from developing sensory, social and communication skills through activities at playgroup.
Children like playgroup because they can:
- Participate in new experiences
- Develop and increase their social skills
- Learn sharing, co-operation and simple routines
- Interact with other adults and children in a safe environment
- Enjoy learning more about their world
| || |
Adults also benefit from playgroup - a time to talk, make friends and share experiences, while children learn through their play experiences.
Adults like playgroup because they can:
- Meet other local families and develop new friendships
- Relax and talk in a friendly environment
- Share experiences and ideas
- Play with children and nurture a spirit of co-operation
- Take up opportunities for personal development
There is a Playgroup Association in every State and Territory to help you:
- Find a local playgroup which suits your needs
- Set up a new playgroup